Feasibly of aluminum alloys (5052/6061, possibly Type II anodizing) in chastity belt manufacturing

Build your own chastity belt or modify a bought belt
strawberria
Sex: Male

Feasibly of aluminum alloys (5052/6061, possibly Type II anodizing) in chastity belt manufacturing

Post by strawberria »

Doing some investigation primarily because aluminum and titanium can be anodized to *extremely pretty* colors like those displayed here, unlike stainless steel - would appreciate some feedback on the general feasibility of aluminum for belt manufacturing purposes. Here are my results so far:

5052 vs. 6061 Aluminum Alloy:
- 5052 aluminum is more bendable than 6061 aluminum, generally better for belt manufacturing (5052 yield strength of 193 MPa vs 6061 yield strength of 276 MPa) - though not sure about how modulus of elasticity (basically identical around 70 GPa) affects bendability other than "higher = harder to permanently deform".
- 5052 aluminum is more corrosion-resistant than 6061 aluminum (relevant within a saltwater environment), though the difference between "excellent" and "high" probably doesn't matter too much within a standard wearing scenario.
- 5052 has a more smooth finish compared to 6061 (see: ... 5052 vs 6061) and is also easier to weld, though the difference is probably only relevant in high-strength applications. I've read conflicting opinions on whether 5052 is harder to machine than 6061, but probably not relevant since I'll be laser-cutting just about everything.

Aluminum Alloys vs. Stainless Steel:
- Aluminum alloys are much lighter than stainless steel, which provides many advantages - you can use more and thicker aluminum aluminum (especially since it's also much easier to bend than stainless steel, with a 70 GPa modulus of elasticity vs 200 GPa) for the same weight, plus the lower weight means it digs into the body less.
- Aluminum alloys are much cheaper to work with than stainless steel, though the difference shouldn't matter much unless you're mass-producing. When quoting the online laser cutting service for a waistband, 1.5mm 5052 was about 40% cheaper than similar 304 stainless and 55% cheaper than similar 316 stainless.
- However, aluminum is also much softer than stainless steel, meaning it scratches easier (and is easier cut if you're into physical security, I guess?) - anodizing could help with that but I have my own concerns, which I'll detail in the below section.

Anodizing Aluminum Alloys:
- I'll probably be doing Type II anodizing which is primarily for color (versus Type III anodizing which is more for durability and wear resistance), but main concern is the hardness and difficulty of bending after anodizing. Type III anodizing supposedly makes the surface as hard as hardened steel which would be basically impossible to bend without cracking everything.
- Even if Type II anodizing is harder to bend than normal aluminum alloy, hopefully it's easier to bend than stainless steel - meaning it would become a suitable (and colorful) replacement for chastity belts. Granted, the corrosion and wear resistance would somewhat be compromised through the bending process (I could bend first and anodize afterwards, but putting on / taking off the belt would still somewhat compromise it) but we mostly care about the color.
- I'll have to get a quote for anodizing aluminum alloy locally especially for fancy colors - powder coating was about $20 a part for my stainless steel belt, but I'm not sure whether there are any affordable options for aluminum alloy anodizing. Also, I'm doing research into using titanium alloy (have a sheet coming tomorrow for testing) so I'll look into that too!

Would appreciate any feedback and insight, thanks!
John R Starvele
Sex: Male

Re: Feasibly of aluminum alloys (5052/6061, possibly Type II anodizing) in chastity belt manufacturing

Post by John R Starvele »

It has been recommended that you do not use aluminum cookware because of the toxic effects of aluminum poisoning on human body. (especially acidic foods such as tomatoes)

Aluminum is found in high concentrations in Alzheimer's brains. (One of the forms of aluminum poisoning.)

Based on that, I would suggest the Longterm contact in private areas with aluminum be avoided. I do not know if anodizing provides a barrier for the aluminum. I just did a search on anodizing it uses Chromic acid. Some forms of Chrome are very toxic (Erin Borovich and PP&G)

Even Stainless Steel poses a problem because of its Chromium leaching.

So far Titanium has proven the best metal to be used in human body.